PASS Summit 2012 – Day 1
Posted by jeffprom on November 8, 2012
Day 1 of the conference may be over but there were a lot of exciting announcements made this morning that should keep the SQL Community energized for a while.
Here are some highlights of what was announced.
- Project Polybase. This project is working to allow the use of T-SQL queries to query Hadoop data as well as relational databases. It will also add the ability to use joins between the two.
- Hekaton. This is the code name given to the project that is working on in-memory OLTP. Basically, you enable selected databases to be run all in memory which makes it super fast!
- SQL Server 2012 SP1
- SSRS is now supported on iOS and win8 mobile devices when you install SQL Server 2012 SP1.
- Parallel Data Warehouse next gen.
- Updatable column store indexing.
- PowerView can be used with Excel 2013 as it’s data source.
- PowerView will be able run on OLAP Cubes. Multidimensional as well as Tabular!
Some of these features are available in SP1 (SSRS & Mobile), H1 of 2013 (PDW), but most will be released in the next major release of SQL Server.